KATY, TX DOG BITE ATTORNEY
PROVIDING COMPASSIONATE & RELIABLE LEGAL COUNSEL
Seeking justice after a dog bite attack in Katy, TX? At the Law Office of Shane McClelland, we understand how difficult and scary it can be to move forward after an animal attack/dog bite. Our firm is dedicated to helping our clients get the best outcome for their cases. Backed by over 15 years of experience, our Katy, TX dog bite attorney can advocate for you and fight hard to make sure that you receive the compensation you need and deserve for your losses and sufferings.
Lillian’s Law | Texas Dangerous Dog Law
Lillian’s Law is a Texas state law that holds owners accountable for serious injuries or death caused by their dogs. It was passed in 2007.
Under Lillian’s Law, the responsibility is placed squarely on the owner of a loose dog that causes injury or death. The law requires proof of awareness of the risk of serious bodily injury or death, far more than just a bite.
Lillian’s Law was born after the vicious attack of a defenseless 76-year-old woman by a group of pit bull-rottweiler mixes who were wandering the streets. After the attack, Lillian’s family was heartbroken and upset to learn that the law allowed dog owners to avoid responsibility for the actions of their pets, even when fatal consequences occurred. The family then formed the Texas Families Against Dangerous Dogs, and thanks to their tireless efforts, Lillian’s memory lives on in the form of a law that seeks to protect innocent victims and ensure responsible ownership.
In addition to holding owners responsible for their animal’s actions, Lillian’s Law also provides victims with greater legal protection and recourse against negligent pet owners. Those whose unsecured animals seriously injure someone off of their property can face felony charges and more jail time under this law (if they were negligent in securing their dog). Lillian’s Law has been an important step forward in protecting people from dangerous dogs in Texas and ensuring that those responsible are held accountable for their actions.
Texas’ One-Bite Rule
It is important to note that Lillian’s law did not eradicate the one-bite rule. When it comes to Texas’s dog bite law, the “one-bite” statute is a crucial concept to understand. Essentially, it means that if a dog has never bitten anyone before, the owner may not be held liable for any injuries or damages the dog causes. However, this only applies in certain situations, as questions may arise about the dog’s previous behavior and potential risk factors.
Levels of Dog Bites | Dr. Dunbar’s Dog Bite Scale
Dr. Ian Dunbar’s Dog Bite Scale is an assessment of the severity of biting problems based on an objective evaluation. It is divided into six levels, ranging from aggressive behavior without skin contact to a bite resulting in death. The levels are as follows:
- Level 1 includes aggressive behavior such as growling, lunging, and snarling without teeth touching the skin.
- Level 2 includes teeth making contact with the skin but not breaking it.
- Level 3 involves a single bite that breaks the skin but does not cause serious injury.
- Level 4 involves multiple bites that cause more serious injury than level 3.
- Level 5 involves multiple bite incidents with more than two level 4 bites.
- Level 6 involves a victim’s death.
While this scale was developed to help with assessing the potential for future aggression and informing decisions about how to best manage a dog’s behavior, this scale can also be used to determine the severity of a dog bite.
If you have been bitten or attacked by a dog, you should also be mindful of signs of infection as well as:
- Deep lacerations
- Fever or chills suffered after the bite
- Extreme and/or worsening pain
- Debris trapped in the wound
- Uncontrollable bleeding
- Loss of feeling, tingling, burning, or stinging sensations around the bite area
- Broken bones
Also, regardless of the severity of your bite, you should still seek medical attention. For those with diabetes and/or other conditions that can weaken your immune system, it is even more imperative that you obtain immediate care.
Trusted Dog Bite Attorney in Katy, TX
When it comes to dog bite cases, no two situations are the same. Whether it happened to you or a loved one, our Katy dog bite attorney is here to unravel the details and fight for the compensation you deserve. Don’t let a dog bite harm your life—let us help you get justice.
At the Law Office of Shane McClelland, we are committed to providing you with sound legal advice and representation so that you can get the justice and compensation you deserve. With our knowledgeable attorney on your side, you can rest assured that you are in good hands.
Once you retain our services, our dog bite attorney can help you by:
- Providing professional legal advice and representation
- Understanding all the laws related to dog bites in your area
- Fighting hard to get you the best possible outcome
- Providing guidance through every step of the process
- Seeking justice by advocating on behalf of the victim
- Ensuring that all insurance requirements and paperwork are completed accurately and promptly
- Representing you in court if necessary
- Calculating your economic and non-economic damages